Monday, August 8, 2011

Confessions Of The Naked Blogger "New Adventure"

It felt like breaking free.
It really did.

I should tell you guys what happened.

What pushed me over the edge and finally helped me solidify my decision to leave for good.

Plus -- using solidify makes me sound grown-up.

I'll take you back 2 weeks.  I was in an "important meeting" that was supposed to mark the beginning
of real changes at work.

I came in armed with idealism and unbridled passion.

Four hours of listening to the decision makers-- in whose hands people's futures and their families depended on.

I sat there thinking "what are you guys doing?"

They were ripping apart individual performance -- not because the guys we were reviewing weren't good.
They were. They are.

Their stats showed very good customer satisfaction rating. They engaged and interacted with the customers over the phone like they were talking to real people -- old friends.

What they were stewing over was the fact that these guys were interacting with the customers in a "non-traditional" way.

Huh?

I was incredulous. Livid in fact. "What does it mean when you say non-traditional?"

They got a bit defensive, I wasn't at their level of genius and I dared defy them. When I say genius I meant my pay grade was way below theirs.

Someone explained with a tone that made me feel she thought I must have missed this class when I was in kindergarten or failed miserably.

"It's dangerous to allow such behavior." She said in slow condescending tone.

"Dealing with customers over the phone in a non traditional way would only be allowed after they have perfected it. They must first learn to probe the correct way  (traditional way of probing). At times a few of those agents would get lucky and that's good. There aren't any guarantees. That's why we have to stick with a standard -- on the form when you score them it has to be specified. They have to be taught to use the traditional way of probing, which is the right way."

Perfected it? Traditional way of probing? At times they might get lucky?!!

I looked around. Twilight zone that's where I was.

So before the meeting or whatever it was ended. I stood up. There was only so much you could take.

I always said I was unorthodox. The mere act of staying there would have shrank my spirit. I didn't have to prove anything.

They didn't either. Not to me. Their payslips and official titles said it all -- The power and glory was theirs.
That was enough, for us not to question their judgement.

So here I am. Launched my startup. Redesigned my life.

The real adventure begins.

-- The naked blogger.

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."






Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More